Friday, December 28, 2007

Wicked Awesome!



Thanks to my thoughtfully Romantic Hubby.... I was able to see Wicked, the Musical at the FOX. To say I loved it would be an understatement. It was so amazing! I think also what helped make this so incredible (not to be a braggart) we were almost in the front row, center. Yes, the getting out of the house, actually going on a date, and getting all dressed up is one of my favorite things that I absolutely cherish. Of course any time I am at the Fox is amazing! It is by far the BEST musical I have EVER seen. It is so funny, charming, and visually beautiful with fantastic music!

Wicked is the back-story of Glenda the good witch and the wicked witch of the west (Elphaba). The plot of the musical is, not what you would say a christian world-view. During the show you truly wonder, "What is good?" "What is evil?" "How are our choices impacted by others' interpretation of our motives?" It has a strong post-modernist view (evil being relative) , and makes you truly thank God for His unwavering, unshakable faithfulness. However, what I did like about the show was that what is "good" really is very rotten, like that of ourselves, with our sinful nature constantly coming through, and it not really always being seen for what it is. The musical is also about true friendships and love, striving that for agape love. My sister-in-law, Anne confirmed the book by Gregory MaGuire did come before the musical. With three small children, this not being a surprise, I might have read the novel, before the experience. I have heard that the novel is very crass and crude. Usually you are disappointed by the movie, or musical, I have heard that the novel is not so great, in comparison. I think that the story is indeed ingenious, and Gregory MaGuire does an amazing job of creating this fictional world.

I highly recommend seeing this if you have a chance. It has permanent theaters in London, on Broadway, and in Chicago and LA. It also is on tour each year.

1 comments:

Lauren said...

I am so glad you had such an awesome time! I am so jealous! I not seen the musical, but I have read the novel Wicked as well as it's sequel Son of a Witch, and both of them were excellent. I have read several more of his novel as well, such as Confession of an Ugly Stepsister, and I enjoyed them all. They are an interesting take on classic fairy tales. Beth you are so, so lucky!