Wednesday, August 22, 2007

D

Divinely Designed
We had a great time enjoying all the extremely amazing exhibits at the St. L A. M.
Patrick and I enjoy spending hours here, and we could have, had we not had three little ones in tow. Along with soaking up the surroundings we had to say "Don't Touch" many times. The children really started to enjoy the art work, by the end of the day,
Elijah would ask "Mommy does this move you?"
I like best how Francis Shaeffer explains art...
The artist conceives in his thought world, and then he brings forth into the external world. This is true of an artist painting a canvas, a musician composing a piece of music, an engineer designing a bridge, or a flower arranger making a flower arrangement. First there is the conception in the thought world and then a bringing forth into the external world. And it is the same with God. God who existed before had a plan, and He created and caused these things to become objective. Furthermore, just as one can know something very real about the artist from looking at his creation, so we can know something about God by looking at His creation. The Scripture insists that even after the Fall, we still know something about God on this basis. Every piece of work in those galleries is a piece of God's creation. Patrick had an Asian Art, class, and we would come and look at the massive amounts of urns, sculptures in the Asian art section and discuss the history behind these pieces. We took the boys and they really liked the sculptures, so much they wanted to climb them, or fight them and etc.

A New Oil on Canvas at the Museum, "Apollo and Marsyas"

I would like to think that this a man who is like a good Samaritan and is cutting the poor, wretched tied up man loose. I remember how this goes down from mythology class...


Marsyas, found a flute...who thought he produced ever sweeter sounds, happened to meet Apollo and his lyre. He then challenged the god to a musical contest, which took place, some say, in the mentioned city of Nysa. They also agreed that the victor should do what he wished with the defeated.
The contest
Marsyas was defeated.
Having won the contest, Apollo flayed Marsyas alive while the unfortunate musician hanged on a tall pine-tree. And while his skin was stripped off the surface of his body that was but one wound, Marsyas complained:
"Why do you tear me from myself? Oh, I repent! Oh, a flute is not worth such a price!"

If Christianity is really true, then it involves the whole man, including his intellect and creativeness. Christianity is not just "dogmatically" true or "doctrinally" true. Rather, it is true to what is there, true in the whole area of the whole man in all of life. Francis Shaeffer
...and He shall wipe away every tear from their eyes;
and there shall no longer
be any death;
there shall no longer be
any mourning, or
crying, or pain;
the first things have
passed away.
-Revelation 21:4

5 comments:

Mandy said...

This is (so far) my very favorite place in St. Louis! It is indeed moving.
And as Nikki so described it...it is what you imagine Pemberley to look like.

Elizabeth Lloyd said...

Oh how funny! Yes I like that description for my AWESOME museum! To bad I cannot take up permanent residence there, and be married to Colin Firth, and be filthy rich! LOL I will just have to be content with visiting often; and Patrick, calling me Elizabeth Bennett!

Mandy said...

HAHA! Yes, I would love to live there and Colin Firth is at the top of my list of men I would looove to live in Pemberley with.

Pat said...

Married to Colin Firth??? I guess I'm plan B. That IS a bit dissapointing Miss Bennett!!

Elizabeth Lloyd said...

I love you sweetie!