Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Home...school?


To go to pre-school or not to go to pre-school-that is the question.????
What goes on at Lloyd Academy...
Okay I do not like the traditional education, that you find in most public and christian schools. I prefer the Montessori method. I think it is important to base the curriculum on the child's developmental needs for freedom within limits, keeping it a carefully prepared environment that guarantees exposure to materials and experiences, that are necessary for that child to learn. I love classical christian education, and I find much comfort in the freedom of the Montessori method. So In saying that my home school curriculum consists, of a classical christian education for Elijah, and sometimes Noah. I do deliver it in a non obtrusive way. In Montessori method child needs a teacher to help him explore possibilities of study. It allows the boys to work in areas they eager to do such as sensory, or math, or geography. I feel that this direction makes them develop their unique capabilities, it makes them easy to adapt, and they work well independently or together. It has made Elijah a real problem solver, he is making decisions from an early age. He has shown good time management, and has made great choices of curriculum to study. When I was working for a Montessori as a teacher assistant, I fell in love with the style of teaching. I didn't realize how long it has been since I worked there. I was one of the primary teachers, and I found out a student that I had is now going to High school, at Wildwood Christian School! WOW!!! I will post a pic later....

Elijah enjoys the work we do at home, however, he is longing for more social time with friends, and peers. He is also asking for a teacher, he does well with me as his teacher I think, but would also like another teacher he says. I think I need to pray about this some more. We need clarity as where God wants our children to be educated. Oh yeah, and great finances! ha!
We are working on Colors and Shapes,
Listening and sequencing
Motor skills lots of sensory we need more running and jumping playtime!!
Numbers
Position and Direction
Reading
Size
Social and emotional development
time
Memory of catechism and scriptures
He can write his name beautifully, I am so proud. I will scan later and post his name.
He is a great artist, and Noah cracks me up, he is on a kick of drawing several lines, and saying they are snakes.

0 comments: